Saturday, June 9, 2012

Cheshire Cat!

I got caught up with work a little bit so pardon the slow posting, not to mention the last post that was the pile of strips that I finally got through. Anyway here's what's going on with the Cheshire Cat as of this week and what will be premiering at Ikasucon 2012.

To give you an idea of what's going on with this design here's some back story that I'm planning on evolving further. The steampunk aspect of the original design has pretty much been dropped and I'm going with more of a militaristic style. Cheshire below has lost of the military inspired bits for a more asylum look with this jacket. 

 
I've always been inspired by darker imagery and with Cheshire being an former member of the Queen's army, I feel that she wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of someone leaving. Instead she locked him up, keeping him from helping the growing resistance, and over time she grew more and more annoyed with him and eventually had his grin sewn shut. The jacket itself will be a cropped version of a straitjacket complete with belted sleeves and straps running to the back; however, I've moved the main closure to the front and added a hood. It won't be fully functional, but the sleeves will zipper shut so that the belts can be latched in the back similar to a real straitjacket. Basically, semi-functional but cool as hell. 

As for what you can see peeking out from under the jacket in the sketch above, well that's the main part of the costume which I'm super excited about!


Its black canvas for the outside, black cotton lining, and the front is this awesome striped knit that I've had for a couple of years. The same knit will be the lining for the hood and the main strap running down the center of the jacket kind of like his tail. I'm just waiting to get some free time between projects to get this guy serged and sewn together.

As for the pants, is it bad that I'm still playing around with the design of them? I have a version sketched out but I'm debating getting a pair to deconstruct into what I want. Oh the joys of choices and being fickle!

No comments:

Post a Comment