Monday, September 3, 2012

As of Friday all the Ren costumes went out. I'm expecting lots of alterations and what not seeing that El Matador and Navy went out with no real fittings. Oh con months, killing my motivation and time management skills for the past two years.

Good news, the sewing bug has hit. I've been trying to figure out what I've been wanting to make next and I was given the challenge for my next con. Sugoicon is the first weekend of November (I think that's right, it's the first weekend after Halloween) and my husband has been wanting a Red Robin costume since before Matsuri. Crunch time hit and his had to get scrapped, but now I have time... and a bolt of red twill sitting in my sewing room. This works well since I've been wanting to do a Poison 
Ivy costume for the past month. Yay for DC characters, even though I don't really know anything about most of them!

Originally, I had planned on making The Batman version of Poison ivy because I thought it was a cute design and then I looked at the wig; I don't have that kind of experience with wigs, let alone my own hair. This meant that I needed to find an alternate version for Sugoi. I toyed with the idea of a steampunk version and possible a fan art design until I stumbled across this beauty:

It's pretty bad ass and gorgeous, plus the challenge of the cloak appeals to me. The only conundrum I have is whether I should paint myself or not, and that's another thing I don't know much about. Long story short, I love this costume, but I think it may need more than two months for me to get it right.

On the same site that I found that design I came across a design for Batgirl but the same artist, which I adored and am contemplating.

It's cute, simple, and probably warmer than Poison Ivy for November. Downside, I've never made a catsuit, well a decent catsuit without a designer helping me, before. It's definitely on the list though! Checking out some of the other articles that the site had I found one labeled DC Girls in Sweaters. Weird, I know; however this gem came out of it.

Yeah I know, shut up its fabulous. Cute, relatively quick, uses skills that don't require testing and mock ups, and warm for November. Bonus? I would wear the crap out of that hoodie and that cap is awesome! Got to chat with the husband in the morning to get a decent second opinion since I get excited and pick costumes that take more time than they seem...

That's Sugoi... Yup, two costumes, none too crazy, but two (close to three) months later is Ohayocon. Unlike Sugoi, I'll be there all three days advertising for Ikasu and possibly Matsuri. Talk has already begun on the costume for that and I know I plan in having Poison Ivy for that. I didn't have any solid plans for the other two days until this.

First, I've never seen Adventure Time. I know, that makes me a horrible person in some circles, but I've just never really watched it. No real reason, just never did. Anyway, my husband posted a link to a bunch of Steampunk versions of the Adventure Time characters and suggested it for Ohayo. A group of us have picked ones that we like and the brainstorming will commence tomorrow (I hope)!



...no, I haven't forgotten about Mockingbird and I still want to do Black Widow just because I don't need a wig. Damn catsuits are going to take over my closet.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't even fathom having a closet full of catsuits. You brave, brave woman. Also... cold weather is on the horizon for Oregon... just sayin'.

    (And seriously, congratulations on getting some projects off your plate. I's proud.)

    ReplyDelete